What to do if…

My child needs to be away from school…

If your child is absent from school:

Telephone: 01530 276448

Newbridge operates a “first day call” system for attendance.  This means that if your child is away from school and we do not have contact from home, the office will call you automatically to check.  It is much better if parents call us first on 01530 276448.
The first call system alerts parents early if students are not in school as a matter of child safety.
We appreciate it when parents/carers keep us fully informed by phoning school first thing in the morning, keeping us updated by letter or phone calls about prolonged absence.  Students should aim for 100% attendance to be in school to learn.
Attendance of below 95% automatically triggers investigations from the Attendance Improvement Officer.
Should a student’s attendance continue to give cause for concern following intervention by the Attendance Improvement Officer, further steps will follow.  This would mean referral to the Legal Department at County Hall, with the possibility of legal proceedings and prosecution.
All absences other than illness should be explained in advance if possible on the above number.  Before or after a medical appointment please present a medical note to the office.  Absence for medical appointments should generally be for either a morning or afternoon session.
It has been proven that lower than 95% attendance (more than 10 days off a year) affects achievement.  Holidays must not be taken during school time.
We strongly recommend at least 95% attendance, and reward good attendance in our praise and rewards systems.

If you are concerned about your child’s progress:

Speak with your child in order to find out difficulties within school.
Contact school to speak with the subject teacher or head of department.
If you feel your child has additional needs, Miss Marlow, the SENDCO is available by contacting the school on 01530 831561.
Your child’s latest report can be accessed online via the parents Arbor portal.

If you feel your child is struggling with friendships:

Contact your child’s tutor or pastoral manager via the school and speak to your child about the situation.

If your child has no money for lunch on their account:

Your child will be issued with a voucher for a meal at lunchtime only. You will be shortly contacted in order to arrange repayment to the school.

If you are concerned for the wellbeing of another child:

You can contact the school with your concerns during school hours.