The school is committed to providing high quality and healthy food options for its students. We employ our own staff and design our own menus within the constraints of government health legislation. We all work hard to promote and enable healthy eating whilst ensuring value for money.
The food and good relationships in our Diner have been praised by Ofsted. We are proud to hold the Healthy Schools Award.
The Diner is open to buy a selection of hot and cold food items, snacks and drinks. Also available in the community lounge is a selection of freshly made sandwiches, salads, wraps and pasta pots.
There are designated areas for eating around the school including areas for those students who chose to bring sandwiches from home.
Year 7 will be released from lessons early at the beginning of the Autumn term, before the older pupils, to give them a chance to get used to the system. We have also recently introduced a separate queue and Zone 7 which is their designated service counter.
The Diner is a nut free zone but very occasionally if items do contain nuts these are clearly labelled. If your child has any allergies please talk to us and we will work hard to accommodate any concerns.
From 8.00 to 8.40 a.m. a breakfast club offers cereals, drinks, toast and cooked breakfasts in the Diner. It is warm, friendly and popular. All students are welcome.
Lunch Meal Deal
At lunch time the students can purchase the “Meal Deal” which is a carefully balanced two course lunch costing £2.60. It consists of a main course served with vegetables/salad and a pudding/fruit or a small drink. £2.90 with both a pudding and small drink. £3.15 with both a pudding and large drink.
Three water fountains are available around school where pupils can re-fill their plastic bottles from home. Most classrooms allow drinking in class for optimum learning. A variety of hot and cold drinks are also available for sale in the Diner. We ask that only water is drank in class in case of accidental spillage. (No drinking in PC Suites and Science labs)
Newbridge operates a biometric cashless system to purchase food. Students can either put cash into an automatic cash ‘revaluation’ terminal which puts money onto their account or parents can pay cheques to Newbridge or use our online Parentpay system to pay for a term, month or week at a time. Students must have enough money in their accounts to purchase food or drink and balances can be checked using the revaluation terminal. If using Parentpay parents are able to monitor what their children purchase at school.
- Convenient way of paying for school meals. No more looking for change every morning.
- Discourages the misuse of school dinner money through spending in shops outside of the school grounds.
- Alleviates many of the associated problems with the use of cash in schools. i.e. loss, theft and bullying.
- Queuing times are reduced through increased speed of service.
- Automatic free school meal allocation with the student remaining anonymous.
- Detailed reports to analyse all aspects of the use of the system.
- The processes involved in cashless catering make students more aware about the financial aspect of their account, thereby teaching them important life skills.
- The Diner can deliver a more efficient service. A more efficient delivery of service helps the Diner to provide wholesome, healthy and enjoyable school meals at a lower cost.
- Set a daily spend limit (currently set at £5) for their child.
Free School Meals
Do I qualify to claim free school meals?
Families of children and young people in full-time education at any school maintained by Leicestershire County Council may be entitled to claim free school meals, providing they receive a qualifying benefit.
The current criteria for claiming free school meals are as follows:
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Income Support (IS)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based)
- Child Tax Credit, provided the annual taxable income, as assessed by the Inland
- Revenue is not in excess of £16,190. Families who also receive an award of Working Tax Credit do not qualify to claim for free school meals
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Children who receive Income Support (IS) or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals
Temporary qualification for free school meals
From 1st May 2009 where a parent has been entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, they will be eligible to claim free school meals over that period.
Claimants MUST complete a hard copy application form and send it to us with a copy of their Tax Credit Decision Notice, which will be issued immediately by HMRC to a claimant who has notified them that they have stopped working. Applications will not be accepted without this document and free school meals authorisation will not be granted prior to the date of application, or extended beyond the end date shown on the Tax Credit Decision Notice. In order to qualify for free school meals after that date the claimant will need to be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits listed in the previous section, and evidence of this provided.
No other benefits qualify for free school meals
How do I apply?
Applying for Free School Meals is easy. You can:-
- Ask at the School Office
- Email on firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can download the Free School Meals Application Form (Word doc, 140kb)
- Request an application form on 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093
- Apply via telephone on 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093
Postal address is:
School Food Support Service
How often do I need to apply?
You only need to apply for free school meals once, your eligibility will then be checked on a 4 weekly basis via the central benefit records database. If after this check of eligibility it is found that you are no longer eligible we will write to you requesting to see proof of the benefits you are receiving, types of benefit proof accepted are detailed below.