Newbridge High School was originally christened “King Edward 7 Grammar School” and was built in 1909. Due to the rural nature of Coalville the school was used as a landmark by travellers, merchants and even local people to know where they were.
As a gift a local jewellers made a solid gold key to open the door.
Newbridge High School Fire
An unfortunate event occurred in March 1984, when an ex-student committed an Arson attack on the school causing enormous amounts of damage. The entire front of the main building had been destroyed as well as the balcony being consumed with flames. Furthermore a lot of students work, equipment and artwork was destroyed.
The fire caused a union between the people of the community to help repair the damage that had been done, clearing debris and recovering salvageable objects and equipment. The effect had caused a lot of damage but this didn’t stop the school from becoming one of the highest scoring middle schools in Coalville.
Artefacts and Antiques
The Original log books from 1909 are still present and in good condition dating back to 8 days before the school had officially opened. They are awe inspiring pieces of writing. The 1st log was written January 4th 1909.
Picture Reads: 1/ 1909 Coalville Bridge RD & School.
The Formal opening of this school took place today. The ceremony being performed by Alderman Thomas Cope J.P., Chairman of the Leicestershire County Council.
Walter Lindley Esq.J.P.CC. provided at the meeting and was supported by Ald Dalgleish and other members of the County Council including J. W. Weal Esq. C. C and J. A. Goodman Esq. CC. F.B Loh. Esq H.M.D, and W.A.Brockington Esq M.A. Director of Education. Were also present.
The crowded company included ladies and gentleman representative of the town and district.
The first entry regarding the students was 8 days later on the 12th January.
The school was opened for educational purposes this morning. I, John H Massey (17448_ Salthey College 1859.90) ACP taking charge as Headmaster.
The staff at present is made up as follows:
Head Master: John H. Masset A.C.P.
- John Rhodes_ST.V.V11
- Maud Ellen Gore 1
- Richard White 111
- Ether A lagerundafanto
- Emily Lagerundafanto
- Maud Else
Miss Emily Lager was unfortunately away through illness this morning the scholars from the three temporary schools were first admitted, and afterwards, a number of scholars from the other schools of the town.
Practically the whole of the day was occupied in registration, the total number of admissions being 462.
Original School Bell
The school bell although not used any more is still present and in working order. It has been superseded by electronic bells, which are set on an automatic timer.